VP of Finance/Human Resources
Posted by Far Bank Enterprises on 08/25/2020
Industry Sector: Fishing, Outdoor
Job Categories: Finance
Company Type: Apparel/SoftGoods, HardGoods/Equipment
City: Bainbridge Island
Country: United States
Required Experience: 10+ years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
This position offers you the opportunity to assume hands-on leadership of the current and future global financial condition for Far Bank Enterprises which holds four strong brands in the fly fishing market segment: Sage, Redington, RIO Products, and Fly Water Travel.
While the small but mighty finance and HR team is well established and performing well, you will be able to make an impact as you implement ongoing continuous improvement initiatives in AR, AP, financial reporting, budgeting, and HR. If you're the person we're looking for, you relish the challenge of exploring new business ventures while delivering a financially healthy business, and you have an innate desire to constantly analyze data and assumptions to model the future financial state of the business' brands, and categories. From an HR perspective, you'll work with third parties to negotiate benefits and look to optimize our payroll systems and processes.
Our culture is upbeat, and we enjoy having fun; at the same time, we take our business very seriously, guarding our reputation with a diligent commitment to high standards and integrity when dealing with vendors, customers, and employees.
While this position is based at our headquarters facility on Bainbridge Island, Washington, you will be responsible for maintaining solid connections to the Far Bank brands located in Ashland, OR and Idaho Falls, ID as well as retailers, distributors, lodges, and suppliers across the planet. This position reports to the CEO & President, but you will need to collaborate with other all Far Bank departments as well as our external auditors and of course our owners.
Founded in 1980, Sage is always striving to "perfect performance" with its made in the USA fly rods and high end fly reels. Redington was acquired in 2003 by Sage. Redington is a great provider of accessible fly-fishing rods, reels, waders, wading boots, and apparel for the value conscience angler. In 2005, we formed Far Bank Enterprises when RIO Products joined the family. RIO is recognized as the world's leading producer of the highest performance fly lines, leader, and tippet for the specialty fly fishing market. In 2018, Fly Water Travel brought a new experienced based component in an effort for all our brands to become more consumer centric. Far Bank Enterprises is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Joshua Green Corporation.
What Else You'll Bring to the Table
You don't need to be an avid fly fishing angler, but it would help! In addition to the qualifications detailed above, you'll need:
- A bachelor's degree, ideally in Business or Finance/Accounting with a CPA requirement fulfilled. We would prefer an MBA.
- 15+ years of progressive experience in Accounting/Finance with five years as a supervisor or manager for 5+ Associates and another 5 years being responsible for multiple departments.
- 5+ years of experience creating financial statements for Board of Director meetings is required.
- Strong financial acumen and demonstrable expert proficiency with MS Excel.
- A robust analytical approach and a demonstrated ability to interpret data and make data-based business decisions.
- Solid experience with ERP systems (we use Microsoft D365 Finance & Operations) and using those systems for financial tools and processes including AR, AP, GL, Security, Budgeting, Fixed Assets, Cash Management, Reporting, Audit Support, etc.
- Ability and almost an obsessed desire to extract, analyze, interpret, and communicate data for financial modeling, cash flow planning, and budgeting. We use Microsoft Power BI/DAX.
- Attention to detail and high standards that will generate accurate and precise financial models and scenarios.
- Proven ability to collaborate with internal departments and external partners (auditors, banks, insurance companies, etc.) on projects and initiatives like budgeting, five-year plans, mergers & acquisitions, net working capital improvements, audits, line of credit negotiation, insurance premiums vs. benefits, 401K offerings, etc.
- A positive, assertive, and results oriented management approach,
including the ability to: forces to establish company policies.
- o Join forces to establish company policies.
- o Work under pressure and aggressively and appropriately solve problems.
- o Define and document processes.
- o Lead, motivate, train, coach and mentor others.
- o Drive change.
- o Hold people accountable.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A strong sense of integrity.
- Experience leading the implementation of Lean Accounting or equivalent continuous improvement processes is a strong plus.
- Experience with HR management is preferred but not required.
- Experience in the outdoor industry is preferred.
What's in It for You
The best of both worlds -- the two departments (HR and Finance) you'll take over are running well and meeting targets. In fact, the retiring predecessor will help you get up to speed. At the same time, you also will engage in continuous improvement initiatives already underway and develop your own to achieve our ever increasing performance expectations, giving you the opportunity to make your mark.
Growth is king - our opportunities are insurmountable! Where and how we invest in the future of our sport, the fly angler, and the business of fly fishing is at a critical juncture. We are constantly learning from our successes and more importantly our failures. You will be instrumental in owning the financial portion of the decision process as we grow and improve the financial condition of our business. You will explore domestic and international mechanisms for investing capital, present ideas about business concepts and opportunities inside and outside of fly fishing, and deliver on projects that allow our business partners to spend more time enhancing the fly fishing experience. Cost effectiveness, efficiency and all the other numbers are important, but they take a back seat to taking care of our customer.
Serious business for serious fun - everything we do is designed to help our customers make the most of their precious time on the water. Many of us also enjoy angling and other outdoor sports, which means we understand the importance of work/life balance (although we can get very busy and there are longer hours from time to time). You'll find a strong sense of humor here at Far Bank, along with an equally strong commitment to quality products and services.
Best of fly fishing-- at Far Bank, every product and trip we design, produce, and curate is fanatically designed, tested, and built with one goal in mind: giving the angler the absolute, hands-down, best of the fly fishing experience. In simple terms we demand performance that helps our customers cast better, fish more effectively and just plain have more fun. We're also committed to supporting conservation efforts that protect and preserve our favorite waters, like the Snake River which runs a quarter mile behind our facility in Idaho Falls, Bristol Bay in Alaska, salmon in California, and wild steelhead in the Puget Sound.
Competitive salary with full benefits package which includes Profit Sharing, Medical, Dental, 401(k) and Paid Leave.
The occasional fly-fishing trip inside or even outside the continental U.S. to enjoy the products and services you make great!