Director of Engineering - New Product Development
Posted by Johnson Outdoors Inc. on 09/21/2020
Industry Sector: Outdoor, WaterSports
Job Categories: Design - Engineer, Management - Team, Manufacturing
Company Type: Recreation
City: Old Town
Country: United States
Required Experience: 10+ years
Job Type: Senior Level
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 25 miles
Job Description & Requirements
Are you an engineering management professional with both consumer product development experience and a passion for the outdoors? Do you want to lead the engineering and design team that creates cutting-edge products for premium watercraft brands delivering exciting new adventures on the water? Are you ready to join an industry leader where you can “work hard, play hard” and truly make an impact?
Join our Johnson Outdoors team!
At Johnson Outdoors, home to some of the world’s most innovative and best-known outdoor recreation brands, we create amazing outdoor experiences - for adventurers, by adventurers. Old Town® brings over 100 years of passion and authentic understanding in kayaks and canoes to drive the next great innovations on the water. We want people to get out and experience the great outdoors, and we create awesome gear to make sure people have the best experience possible from launch to landing.
As our Director of Engineering – New Product Development for Johnson Outdoors Watercraft, you’ll be responsible for providing strategic and tactical direction in the design, development and commercialization of innovative and profitable products – ensuring that our ideas further our mission of opening the world through the amazing awe of the great outdoors.
We are looking for a dynamic leader with strong technical expertise and passionate curiosity, who routinely makes the impossible possible and makes the team around them better. This position requires excellent technical engineering knowledge coupled with superior leadership skills, cross-functional project management experience and business planning expertise.
Based in beautiful and affordable Old Town, Maine, named one of 2019’s Top 100 Best Places to Live, you’ll have incredible access to a variety of outdoor activities whether skiing and snowmobiling in winter, or kayaking, fishing, sailing, hiking or more in summer. Close to Bangor, this scenic area boasts a vibrant arts and culture scene and easy access to the Maine coast.
If you thrive in a busy, small hands-on team environment, if you want to lead creation of innovative and award-winning products that are industry leaders, then you might just have what it takes to be a part of Johnson Outdoors!
Get in touch with us today! Email your resume and your salary expectations to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What you will be doing:
- You’ll lead execution of the organization’s strategic product plans. You will contribute technical expertise, drive innovation, and oversee all technical work, including setting and maintaining design standards and incorporating the latest design methods and tools to improve internal and external design practices. You will collaborate cross-functionally to qualify new product designs, transfer them to manufacturing, implement engineering change orders, and identify and lead cost savings projects.
- You’ll be the driver of NPD project accountability, responsible for the planning and execution of all new engineering/product development projects. You’ll ensure projects have clear value to the end consumer and align with the organization’s mission, as well as meet product specification, quality, cost and schedule requirements. You’ll strategically apply and prioritize internal and external engineering resources to optimize output.
- You’ll keep our technology at the forefront of the industry, identifying, sourcing and/or developing new technologies to apply to our products. You’ll set strategic direction for departmental growth in terms of people resources, core competency skill sets, and technology development. You’ll identify potential technology partners and negotiate partnerships or licensing agreements.
- You’ll become an industry thought leader. You’ll establish a culture of continuous improvement and best practice sharing that maximizes resources, quality and cost-reduction. You’ll establish effective partnerships and relationships to stay competitive with technological advances.
What you need to succeed:
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE), Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) or equivalent
- Preferred experience working with both electronics/electrical and molded products - experience in marine products a plus
- 10 years of progressive design engineering experience, which includes providing leadership over multiple engineering disciplines, overseeing complex innovation-driven engineering projects, and successfully overseeing design and development of consumer products.
- Experience and success in developing and implementing strategic processes and improvements for product development, and in overseeing a diverse team of professionals.
- Project management expertise, from concept development to implementation and evaluation. Provide direction cross-functionally to produce quality new products on schedule.
- Understanding of product margins/financials and significant analytical ability.
- Domestic travel and possible international travel required
- Comfortable working in a lean and fast-paced environment
A few pointers about our culture:
- Entrepreneurial spirit and innovation are in our bones! We authentically innovate trusted equipment that gets people out there.
- We are laser-focused on our consumers, and passionate about inspiring people to actively engage with the amazing awe of the outdoors again and again.
- We strive to create meaningful, healthy change in the world as individuals and as a family of brands.
- We value team members who are willing to wear many hats; who take personal initiative, anticipating what needs to be done, and figuring things out to make them happen; but who are also willing to ask help, to assist others and work together.
What you will receive:
- Share in the company’s success – Competitive base salary, with additional earning potential through our cash profit sharing and employee stock purchase plans.
- Find your work/life balance with generous paid time off and holiday benefits, health insurance and wellness plans.
- Further your career with training opportunities including our tuition assistance program.
- Plan for your future with our 401k with company match and deferred retirement contributions, Sons & Daughters Scholarship program, life and LTD insurance, employee stock purchase plan, and more.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at Johnson Outdoors (and all subsidiaries) without regard to race; creed; color; religion; national origin; sex; age; disability; sexual orientation; gender identity or expression; genetic predisposition or carrier status; veteran, marital, or citizenship status; or any other status protected by law. Johnson Outdoors is proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please contact Human Resources at HRSpecialAccommodations@johnsonoutdoors.com to let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Pre-employment drug test and background check required.